Monday, February 8, 2010

salon dresser makeover




I am going to show you another project that I did for my new salon. My mom got this dresser at a yard sale for $25.The color = horrible. But as you can tell it has potential. It has a cute shape :) After my mom sanded it down and primed it and gave it to me :) I painted it black. I knew I wanted to do a little something different to it than just having it all black. And then it just HIT ME! Don't you love it when that happens?? So off to Hobby Lobby I went & found the perfect scrapbook paper. I used a spray adhesive to adhere the scrapbook paper to the top of the dresser. Then I used a straight razor to cut around the edges. I LOVE the way it turned out!!Now a have a perfect little set up for my wax, yummy candle, candy for the kids, and my phone! I plan on using the same handles that were on it to begin with when we find them..somehow they got misplaced but these will do for now! Here is an up-close pic of what it looks like :) Btw, I was very happy with this pattern on the scrapbook paper because when you lay them next to eachother, the pattern matches and flows! So you can't tell where one paper is and the next one starts.My original plan was to mod podge the top of it so it will seal it but when I did a small portion, it started bubbling up so it scared me & I wiped it off. I need something to seal it but not sure what to use. Any suggestions??





When I told the hubby my plan for this project he didn't really know if it was going to look good or not..... but when he got home he was very impressed and loved it!!! I did this all without my hubby so I am linking up to Shanty 2 Chic! and Twice Remembered! and A Soft Place to Land! Have a great day :)

13 comments:

  1. I LOVE the top of this... Too darn cute!
    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's great, rachel! you are just so super creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I just think that is super cute! I love the pattern from the scrapbook paper and you can't even tell where it ends and begins....So super cute! I think your customers will like it too! DIY projects are fun....
    Have a Happy Monday
    Summer :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I love it! So chic and unique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would polyurethane work? They make it in spray. It's so cute I don't want it to get ruined.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! Sorry, I have no idea about the sealer. I'ved used glue instead of mod podge, under and over paper and didn't have any problem. But I've never used spray adhesive with glue/mod podge over it. I think the spray sealer may be your best bet. (I would use paper to cover up the black painted part and use the spray sealer only on the top.
    good luck, whatever you decide.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard good things about Minwax Wipe-On Poly. Maybe you have a scrap piece of wood you could do a test run on so you don't have to worry about messing up your new creation? Good luck! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This came out great. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great project. I love it, it turned out awesome!! You deserve a pat on the back for that one.. your blog is so cute, I am now a follower! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would use a spray matte sealer or if you wanted it to be glossy or semi gloss. This would also help for any water that may get on the table or if a glass sets on it, the modge podge would become gooey (speaking from experience-ha ha) It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete