Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Homemade Apple Butter (the easy way)

I looooove apple butter :)

 I knew I wanted to make some this year but when I saw what all goes into it, I almost talked myself out of it. I HATE with a passion peeling things....like potatoes. So the thought of peeling tons of apples does not sound fun to me at all.

But then I saw this post.. She uses her Vitamix to blend up the apples with the skins on! First of all, I need to talk about my Vitamix....I absolutely LOVE this thing. Yes, it is a little pricey, but it does everything!! I use mine pretty much everyday. Anyway, back to the apple butter. It took about 10 minutes to get everything blended up. Then I throw it all in a crock pot and that is it. 4 hours later I had the best apple butter ever! Here is the recipe:

ingredients:
1/2 cup apple cider
6 apples- stems removed, quartered with seeds and skins
2 teaspoons allspice
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

{ First of all, I TRIPLED this recipe. I used 9 granny smith apples and 9 red delicious apples. I have heard it is good to mix sweet with tart and it was really good. }
 
 
directions:
Place apples and 1/2 cup of cider into the Vitamix container and secure lid.

Select Variable 1, turn machine on and quickly increase speed to Variable 5 or 6. Blend for 10 seconds until chopped. If necessary, use the tamper to press any ingredients into the blades. Increase speed to Variable 10, then to High. Blend for 1 to 2 minutes until mixture is smooth.



Spray insides of crock pot with cooking spray for easy cleanup. Pour ingredients from Vitamix container into the crock pot. Stir in sugar and spices.


Cook 4 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low uncovered until mixture is dark brown. Depending on the sweetness of your apples, you might need to stir in a tiny bit more sugar.  Freeze or process for canning any leftovers.
 
I canned mine using the hot water bath method so I can give some away as Christmas gifts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment