Saturday, January 2, 2010

If I Marry

I love this poem that Ruth Bell wrote. She was only 17 years old when she wrote this and had decided to remain single & be a missionary. But if she did marry, this is what she wanted-

"If I marry: He must be so tall that when he is on his knees he reaches all the way to heaven. His shoulders must be broad enough to carry the burden of a family. His lips must be strong enough to smile, firm enough to say no, and tender enough to kiss. Love must be so deep that it takes its stand in Christ and so wide that it takes in the whole lost world. He must be active enough to save souls. He must be big enough to be gentle and great enough to be thoughtful. His arms must be strong enough to carry a little child."

This poem makes me smile for so many reasons :) For one, I love that she chose to not settle when it comes to choosing a husband. We need to wait for the one the Lord has picked out for us!! That is why I am so thankful for my husband!! I know God made him for me and he made me for him!!

Another reason this poem makes me smile is because it shows how the LORD is SO faithful. If we follow him and keep him first, he will give us the desires of our heart. Because not long after Ruth Bell wrote this poem, she met her soon to be husband, Billy Graham!! A few months after that, he proposed! Isn't God just great?!!!

Delight yourself in the LORD and HE will give you the desires of your heart. Psalms 37:4

No comments:

Post a Comment